Monday, October 28, 2013

Treat Yourself for Halloween – Step into Charles Gramlich’s Harmland


... that is, if you dare...


From the menacing title, through the eerie cover, into the eclectic world of nine tales that take you from a grave in the swamplands to the undergrounds of the Miskatonic University, this is a truly scary trip that stayed with me long after I finished it.

After all, I had the finest guide... through and through, he kept me on the edge of my seat, with his mix of unrelenting action, dark humor, and very creepy hauntings, while still allowing a few moments when I could simply admire his beautiful writing.

As always, “About the Stories” gives fascinating insight into the creation of the stories, just as interesting to read as the stories themselves.

And, Charles, really? Are almost all the details except the “toad” itself and what it turns out to be absolutely true? :-) Then, yes, we should be very afraid...


7 comments:

SzélsőFa said...

It seems like a good read :)
-
I still have not attended the first virtual class of the course. How are you doing?

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love a good scary story so I think I may check this out :)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

P.S. I'm now your newest follower :)

Charles Gramlich said...

Vesper, thanks so much for the great review. I really appreciate it and am glad you enjoyed the collection. And yes, the setting for the Toad is almost 100 percent real. :)

BernardL said...

Good book, a real Halloween bargain.

Brian Miller said...

nice...this sounds like a great one to pick up...and love me some short story horror...def going on the list...

Vesper said...

SzélsőFa, it is a very good read! And as you can imagine I haven't done anything either... :-) Well, I've watched the introduction. :-) But all those people commenting there... that scared me a little bit... :-)

Keith, you should check it out! And thank you for following this blog... I appreciate it! :-)

Charles, don't mention it. It was truly my pleasure to read and to share...
So, Brazil, hmmm... No, I'm joking! :-)
I knew you were using plenty of autobiographical elements in "The Toad" even before you mentioned it in the end, and I enjoyed knowing that... :-)

You're right, Bernard! I'm glad you liked it. But with Charles it's always a sure thing... :-)

Brian, this is great stuff. Hopefully, one day, you'll give e-books a chance... :-)