Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Missed October

I haven’t stopped in a long time to smell the roses… or the chrysanthemums… and not even the coffee steaming in my mug. I missed crisp, fiery, possibly-my-favourite-month-of-the-year October entirely –this is the first year I haven’t prepared at least one Halloween story or poem- and I am almost inconsolable… I also miss you, my blogging friends, and the creative environment of our community, and the warmth or your virtual presence… very, very, very much…

I’ve hit some dead ends in my novel and that brought me to the realization that I no longer can avoid a (detailed) outlining. It was fun for a while to make it up as I went along, to play the “archaeologist” uncovering the story and the characters, but if I want to get anywhere, in any good way for what I want to do, I really need to take the map out of my pocket. So, that’s what I’m doing now, thinking, thinking, thinking, plotting, plotting, plotting. I’m not sure it goes that well...

There is a minuscule stretch of woods next to my house, which has escaped the excavators, and which is, in its unkempt wildness, much more beautiful than the enormous houses that suffocate it. I took a few pictures there two Sundays ago and I would like to share them with you as a taste of the fine poetry of nature…








8 comments:

the walking man said...

Sometimes you HAVE to follow the rules kiddo if you're going to make motion move forward. Good to see you and your little piece of nature.

Charles Gramlich said...

Great pics. My son and I saw some awesome fungi on our walk yesterday too.

BernardL said...

I felt the same way. October was a blur, and Thanksgiving is nearly over. Yikes! Happy Thanksgiving anyway, Vesper. Blog at your convenience. :)

strugglingwriter said...

"I’ve hit some dead ends in my novel and that brought me to the realization that I no longer can avoid a (detailed) outlining."

Yeah, me too. I just hate outlining SO MUCH!

Aniket Thakkar said...

Had missed you.

Hope you've outlined/mapped your way through. Fight O' Fight! (Gorgeous pics)

Now go finish that novel already!

Rick said...

Seriously finish that novel.

I will see if I can have New Years delayed by at least another year if that helps.

laughingwolf said...

i'm with you on the nature bit... my source of curiosity and joy since before i could walk or talk

do what you must to finish that book, all else will then fall into place... post edits, of course ;)

wv: tokijo

SzélsőFa said...

welcome back, dearest Vesper!
plotting *is* inevitable, unless you are writing a poem, that is, and sometimes a little plotting, planning before writing does some good even to poems.
those are the words of someone who hasn't written much in the past year, so take it with caution :)

the photos are great and the last paragraph of your post resonates much within me. but you already know that.
be well, have a merry christmas.