Thursday, December 22, 2011

Merry Christmas


It is almost Christmas again.

I’m listening to “The Birds Are Singing Christmas”, a CD of Christmas and classical pieces arranged with chirps, trills, caws, hoots. Sweet, sweet, sweet!

My heart is filled with bitter honey because at this time for joy, and warmth, and lights in children’s eyes there are so many, too many beings on this Earth –human or not- who suffer, who are hungry, cold, afraid, desperate, lost. And while I’m in my warm home, with my family, ordering last minute things from Amazon, packing presents, trying to write on my new laptop, baking wonders, getting all Christmassy, I cannot and do not want to not think of these less fortunate beings. I ache for them.

Since childhood, I’ve had this daydream/fantasy. I wanted magic.

I wanted it for a very specific purpose: to help any being that needs help, to be able to give them one surprise moment of sparkling joy that would make their life more bearable.

I still dream about it when, let’s say, in the supermarket’s deserted parking lot, on a freezing, grey December afternoon, I see a flock of gloomy seagulls, sitting around. What if, I think, I could just snap my fingers and each one of them would have his own little fish for dinner? Would that make them happy? And, of course, it would have to be some sort of “replicated” fish (from Star Trek’s replicators) otherwise my heart would break for all those little fishies…

Or, what if I could just snap my fingers again and that squirrel and that sparrow shivering outside in February would suddenly be surrounded by their own little sphere of warmth? Wouldn’t that be nice?


And of course that homeless woman and her dog, lying on the street, in front of that big, nice, bright store. They could do with a little warmth and a little food, couldn’t they?

Childish, of course. Indeed, because some people are doing more than just dreaming about it. I’m trying, too. But in the mean time, it is also a nice Christmas wish. Maybe Santa will grant it one day.

If I have a soul then so does every creature, big or small, and bless them all.

Merry Christmas to everybody! Be good! I love you!

8 comments:

the walking man said...

I never really got into the whole holiday thing but this year I have even moved further away from it. Mostly because I am surrounded by people trying but only putting themselves in deeper than they already are. Personally Vesper I hope you get all accomplished that you desire.

BernardL said...

Merry Christmas and have a wonderful New Year, V. Count and enjoy your blessings. Feeling guilty about them helps no one.

laughingwolf said...

good thoughts/wishes from childhood

unfortunately, much of the world and its creatures seem to have been born to suffer :(

xmas blessings to you and yours, v :)

SzélsőFa said...

those who call your ideas childish have definitely lost something along the way.
sure the world meeds a more complex solution but hey, every road starts with a small step.
have a merry christmas!
ps: is that a your hamster on the photo? poor funny creature :))

strugglingwriter said...

Merry Christmas to you Vesper. Never give up hope and never stop dreaming for a better world, because the only way big things happen is if somebody dreams them.

Paul (strugglingwriter)

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, from an old friend. :)

Vesper said...

Thank you, my friends!!!

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

How I’d looove to kiss your feets and cuddle with you after I brushed my teeth in Heaven - the question is: will we need to? HawrHawr Truly, I love you, miss gorgeous, and I don't wanna spend my eternity Upstairs without you. God bless you.