Sunday, September 02, 2007

Haute Cuisine


I could live on love only,
I thought, falling into your eyes.
The skies were in there.
Suave birds soared on balmy rivers of air,
their eyes of shiny beads
watching me with indulgent curiosity.
I glided with them happily,
ignorant, carefree,
nothing else needed, ever, forever,
my whole self sated to bliss.

How surprised I was when
my fine nose caught
the flavour of storm,
the sharp odour of ions.
All too hastily,
my eyes slid on sombre shadows of clouds,
glimpsed the eddy of darkness
biting
at the cerulean quietude.
Still I floated,
with birds not so charming now,
not so friendly,
their rough feathers
lashing at my soul.

How was I to know
I’d been invited
to a Barmecide feast?

Disenchanted,
I tumbled out of your blue,
ungainly landing
on my kitchen’s floor,
oh, so hungry.

Let’s see what’s in the fridge.


Copyright © Vesper L. All rights reserved.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I loved that! Beautiful words combined with wit. Brilliant!

Jon M said...

Very clever! I love the way the words tumble us all down to the fridge! :-)

Anonymous said...

you leave with gasping for more, Vesper! brilliant!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I absolutely love that. Very good.

I think I've done that before!
Usually wind up with chocolate ice cream.

mmmm.

Scarlett & V.

PS - love the photo, that's just wonderful.

Vesper said...

Thank you so much, Vanilla! I don't even know what to say... your praise makes my heart sing, but I also feel a bit ashamed... :-)

Jon, thank you very much! The fridge, YES! Yummy! :-)

CS, thank you, thank you, thank you! See above, my answer for Vanilla! :-)

Thank you, Scarlett! I'm sooo glad you liked it! Chocolate in any form... mmmm :-)

Unknown said...

Yay, really like that one.

Anonymous said...

I’m a mandala in your eye
a sunflower dancing
on a black scrying mirror
where the sun and moon are lovers

Vesper said...

Wow, Minx, thank you!

Colleen, what a gem! Beautiful! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

On the bandwagon here, as well. Wonderful imagery and declicious wit. Very, very nice, Ms Vesper.

And I really love the "My Words" post as well.

Dewey said...

I love this whole poem, but my favorite part is the end, where the speaker seems like such a survivor, someone who is just determined to move on.

Vesper said...

Thank you, David, double thank you in fact! It's nice to hear from you...

Dewey, thank you, I'm glad you liked it! Yes, we will survive!

Taffiny said...

I like this, the imagery (and the image of the words themselves). Sounds like wings, up and down, the force and then the flow, both flapping, and glidding. The rhythm.

Love the photo. Birds flying (esp. white), I have become addicted to the sight of them. Excited, like I am having a memory of something that hasn't yet happened. I hope your flight carried you far, before the wind that carries wings, dissipated.

I can't imagine soaring like that into (with) someone. Sounds beautiful, and scary.

Anonymous said...

So skilled, Vesper. Great metaphor for the journey of being let down.

Vesper said...

Thank you, Taffiny! It reminds me of a recurring dream I used to have many years ago, in which I was flying - it was an incredible sensation, like you said, beautiful and scary at the same time.

Jason, thank you. Your appreciation means very much to me. We who have chosen words as a mean to express our worlds often hide well behind them...

Taffiny said...

I like that, what you said to Jason

"We who have chosen words as a mean to express our worlds often hid well behind them..."

interesting